Visit our studio at 4950 Keller Springs Road, Suite 200 in Addison (Dallas) Texas 972-250-2415
As a baby photographer, I am routinely consulted on a number of different logistical issues involved with planning a newborn photography session. I always laugh because chatting with new parents I notice that they are often shocked when they realize that all of a sudden it's much more difficult to schedule and manage their daily activities. It's like they didn't know it was coming! So I came up with a list of FAQs that might help when you're talking to a baby photographer or a family photographer about scheduling a photo session.
1. What is the ideal age for a newborn portrait session? I always say 7-10 days, but DEFINITELY before 14 days. Our studio is calm and quiet and we can easily photograph your baby at 4 or 5 days if that works better for you --but 7 days seems to work great for everyone.
2. How far in advance do I book a newborn photo session? For baby and family photographers there are certain times of the year are much busier. The fall, for example, is pretty crazy for most Dallas family photographers because the weather is finally cooler and outdoor family portrait sessions are usually scheduled in the fall. So if your baby is due in the last quarter of the year, please book your newborn session as far in advance as possible. Two months? Even three months is not a problem. Other times of the year we can usually accommodate new parents with just a few weeks notice.
3. What if I only have an approximate due date? Not everyone schedules a new baby right down to the minute! We "pencil" in your due date and allow for some changes --but it helps a lot to know when the baby is scheduled to make her appearance! We usually have you call us when you leave the hospital at which point we set a definite time on the calendar.
4. How long is a newborn photography session? That's an easy one -- as long as it takes! Prior to your session we send you a list of things to do to prepare. If you're careful and plan accordingly, your baby will sleep peacefully through their photo session and we will get loads of great photos. But every baby is different and a general rule around here is 60-90 minutes. We often take breaks for feeding and diaper changes, but 60-90 minutes is the norm.
5. What do I need to bring? Our studio is stocked to overflowing with baskets, blankets, hats, rugs and cool chairs -- all of which are available for our clients to use. We usually have parents wear solid colors, both to flatter the new mom and to focus more attention on the baby. Our clients get a "what to bring list" when they book their session.
Stay tuned for more tips for great photography sessions!
It's time to announce the annual Belly + Baby Special for 2012. This year we're combining it with a gorgeous new product -- the acrylic block print. If you sign up for the Belly + Baby special package (a two session package which includes a full maternity photography session and full newborn portrait session for $350) we'll also give you an 8x10 acrylic block print! Stop by the studio to meet us and view samples -- you won't be able to resist your favorite baby portrait done in acrylic. Each print comes with it's own matching stand so there's absolutely nothing else to buy, just unwrap it and prepare to dazzle your friends.
To qualify you must sign up and pay for the Belly + Baby package ($350) during the month of July, 2012 and use both sessions before the end of the year. Babies must be photographed before they are 15 days old. That's it!
We periodically send out a little email newsletter with our favorite "Smile" of the month, or with pets, our favorite "Dog" of the month. This time I'm sure you can see why we only had to send out ONE email, not two. These two were adorable together!
Parents often ask when is the best time to photograph babies and pets together and we usually opt for 6-7 months. For one thing, at this age babies can sit up and are really happy --and both the dog and the baby have had a chance to form that amazing bond that is so fun to watch.
If you have a special dog that has 'made room' for the new baby, why not schedule a session for the two of them? Your child will always have these photographs to hold on to, long after his best friend is gone.
Welcome to the new blog --and thank you for your interest. The latest What to Wear guide just arrived and since we get lots of questions about how to dress for portrait sessions, we publish these monthly. Family portraits can be stressful enough without a little inspiration, right?